Return to School 2020-21
Thursday 03 September 2020
Letter from Headteacher
Welcome to our website. It is a privilege to be Headteacher at Queen Elizabeth’s Grammar, Alford, and I am very proud of our wonderful school with its caring, friendly and aspirational ethos. Students are well-known individually and valued as such. We place emphasis on supporting one another and mutual respect - students’ behaviour clearly reflects this around school, in their charitable work and the way they treat one another. The school’s motto is ‘Cor Unum via Una’ – one in heart and goal. We value hard work and encourage students to strive for excellence in all fields of their lives. Students are prepared for life beyond school with the academic, social and emotional skills they will need, whilst ensuring they have fun and enjoy their time at school, building strong friendships and gaining the confidence they will require to excel.
Queen Elizabeth’s was founded in 1566 and we celebrated our 450th anniversary in 2016. We are now a Selective Academy, currently having approximately 570 pupils on roll. In our last Ofsted inspection we were awarded the top rating, ‘Outstanding’.
Formerly a Business & Enterprise College, students are encouraged to be enterprising and departments all have good links with the business world. Students can set up their own businesses, trading in school, and there is a venture fund to support them.
We recognise the value of developing the whole person and therefore provide an extensive range of extra-curricular activities (run by staff and senior students) and many leadership opportunities. These include an annual Y12 Study Tour to Australia, a biannual World Challenge Expedition (Nepal in 2018 and Equador in 2020), the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme and a bespoke Leadership Award Scheme.
Recent government funding (PSBP2) is providing us with a sports hall, activities studio, science lab and 2 classrooms, due to be open in Autumn 2019.
We are very proud of our students and their wide-ranging achievements. These have included:
- In our Charity Week last year raising over £11,000 for YoungMinds
- 2016’s A Level results of 79% A*-B being the best ever in Lincolnshire, and this year’s GCSE and A Level results placing us top in the County and East Midlands
- Our GCSE Progress 8 and 100% 4+ in Maths and English (93% 5+) placing us 33rd in UK (and top in County)
- Consistently high Value-Added at all key stages and across all groups of students
- Pupils and staff maintaining a school garden, which supplies some fruit and vegetables to the canteen
- Our school radio station run by students
- Regional Girls’ Tennis Champions
- District Champions for Y8 Boys’ Rugby, Y7 and Y10 Rounders, KS4 Tennis
- A recent outstanding production of ‘The Phantom of the Opera’
The information on this website will, I hope, provide you with a flavour of Queen Elizabeth’s. There is so much more, however, than any website could ever convey. Probably the most impressive feature of the School is the students! To appreciate fully the way we work, I strongly recommend that you pay us a visit. Please come and meet the students, teachers and myself and see the excellent facilities.